With September comes the end of one season and the beginning of another. Fall is upon us and brings a huge variety of things to do in our communities to celebrate the changing seasons! The events are a great reason to spend some quality time with your family, too.
- Scarecrow Contest | McDonough Square – For the month of October you and your family can enjoy seeing the entire McDonough Square decorated with all different kinds of scarecrows! The Scarecrow Contest has become such a special thing for the community, as participants submit either personal entries or together as a business. You and your family can enjoy walking through the Square viewing all of the entries, grab dinner at one of the nearby restaurants such as Kirby G’s, Pasta Max, PJ’s, or DuLac’s Bowtie Cafe, and finish the evening with dessert or a warm beverage from Queen Bee Coffee Company! You can also vote for your favorite scarecrow.
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch | McDonough & Stockbridge – Nothing beats picking out your own pumpkin to carve with your family! We’re lucky enough to have two places in our community that sell pumpkins you can pick on your own. Southern Belle, not far from the McDonough Square, has a pumpkin patch for you to choose your pumpkin from. They also have a corn maze that would be fun to navigate with your family! The Pumpkin Patch at Yule Forest is another great place to grab your pumpkins. You can select a pumpkin from their already picked pumpkins, or cut your own off the vine! They also have a small store on their farm with lots of local goodies to purchase and take home with you.
- Goblin Gallop 5K/10K Race | Stockbridge – Hands of Hope Clinic Is hosting the Goblin Gallop 5K/10K Race Saturday, October 21st! All proceeds benefit the clinic and helps them continue to provide quality medical services to low income residents of Henry County. There will also be a prize for the best costume, so you won’t want to miss this chance for fun that benefits the citizens of Henry County!
- Porch Fest | Hampton – Porchfest is coming to Hampton! On Saturday, October 14th porches in Hampton will turn into stages on which local bands and musicians will perform! There will also be local artists set up with items for sale. It will be a good time!
- Cemetery Story Walk | Griffin – On Monday, October 30th, the Griffin-Spalding County Library will be hosting a Cemetery Story Walk! Families will walk through a local cemetery (in daylight so it is not too spooky) and visit different stations as they read Dem Bones by Bob Barner together! At each station family members will collect different pieces of the story and parts to a skeleton, so at the end, they have created their own skeleton and now know more about different parts of the body! It’s educational fun for your entire family.
No matter what you decide to do with your time this fall, I do hope you choose to spend time with your family! These are just a few simple ways to create memories you will treasure forever.