The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program begins TODAY! If you are a Georgia resident aged 65 or older and are homebound you are now able to apply for assistance through this federally funded program. Below is a press release from the Georgia House of Representatives with more information. Taking care of our state’s citizens is our top priority and I am grateful that this program will be able to do just that.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program will open on November 1, 2018 
ATLANTA – The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), administered by the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services, will be available November 1, 2018. This federally funded program assists low-income, elderly and disabled Georgians with heating bills through direct payments to home energy suppliers.
Beginning November 1, 2018 residents aged 65 and older or those who are homebound can apply for assistance through the Department’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. All other eligible residents may apply for assistance beginning December 3, 2018. Funds are administered through local Community Action Agencies on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are exhausted.
In 2018, the LIHEAP program spent over $48 million to assist more than 140,795 clients with their heating bills. Depending on income and household size, those who qualified for the program received between $310 and $350 toward their home heating bills.
To qualify, a family’s annual income must be less than or equal to 60 percent of the median income for a Georgia family. For a household of one, the income threshold is $22,839; the income threshold for a household of five is $50,948.
Those seeking assistance must contact their local Community Action Agencies. All applicants must provide the following:
1. Most recent heating bill or statement of service from their heating providers;
2. Social Security numbers for each member of the household;
3. Proof of Citizenship for each member of the household;
4. Proof of Income for the last 30 days for each adult member of the household;
     a. Proof of Income can include, but is not limited to, a paycheck stub or a letter granting public assistance, and
5. Social Security or unemployment benefits for all household members, if applicable.
For more information on the program, contact the Division of Family and Children Services at 404-6573426.
To find a Community Action Agency in your area, visit

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

Thanks for signing up!